A Canadian husband and wife in their sixties died while having sex in a Mexican resort hot tub – just two days before they were due to watch the knot is tied by their daughter.
While seconds, drowned afterwards Charles McKenzie, 67, died after suffering a heart attack in the bathtub in the luxurious Playacar Palace Hotel in Playa del Carmen, officials said.
Mrs McKenzie, who’s described as being ‘slender’, was apparently squashed by her dying husband’s own body, resulting by submersion’ from ‘asphyxiation in her departure, an autopsy found.
Even though it was feared the couple might have been killed due to an electrical fault, an autopsy later revealed that Mr McKenzie died from a heart attack, officials told Canadian media.
Mrs McKenzie was discovered to have drowned.
The couple, both from Baddeck, Nova Scotia, were staying on the fourth floor of the resort in Quintana Roo when the disaster happened, and had traveled to Mexico for their daughter’s wedding.
Earlier this week speaking to The Canadian Press, Mrs McKenzie’s brother, Douglas Hastings, said he did not know whether the wedding would be cancelled following the bride’s parents’ deaths.
‘I know that they are more concerned about cremation and the remains and things like that. I don’t actually know about the wedding,’ said Mr Hastings, whose wife is also in Mexico for the wedding.
The wedding would have taken place today, if it had gone ahead as intended.
A hotel spokesman said the McKenzies’ deaths are being investigated by authorities.
The spokesman also dismissed reports that the couple may happen to be electrocuted in the tub, insisting :
‘All the gear was working flawlessly.’
Consular officials are helping the couple’s loved ones to cope with the tragedy.