Deadly QUAKE RATTLES ITALY death toll reaches 247

Deadly QUAKE RATTLES ITALY death toll reaches 247


The death toll in the Italian earthquake has risen to at least 247 as thousands of rescuers continue efforts to find survivors.

Dozens are considered trapped in destroyed Amatrice, Accumoli and Pescara del Tronto, in mountainous central Italy.

The investigation went on through the night, and there was a strong aftershock which rocked damaged buildings.

More than 4,300 rescuers are using heavy lifting gear and their bare hands.

Many of the victims were children, the health minister said, and there were warnings the cost could rise further.

The 6.2-magnitude quake hit at 03:36 (01:36 GMT) on Wednesday 100km (65 miles) north-east of Rome.

The newest death toll was given on Thursday morning – 190 departures in Rieti province and 57 in neighbouring Ascoli Piceno state.

Rescuers said five bodies had been pulled on by them in the ruins of the Hotel Roma in the historic town of

Amatrice. Officials said about 35 people have been staying at the hotel and most had managed to move out.

Almost all the houses there had failed, the mayor said.

Where the areas of Lazio, Umbria and Le Marche meet villages and small towns struck in the mountainous area.

Among the victims was an 18-month old toddler, Marisol Piermarini, whose mom Martina Turco survived the fatal 2009 earthquake in L’Aquila and moved after the experience, Italian news agency Ansa reported.

Ms Turco had been treated in hospital after being pulled in the debris in the village of Arquata del Tronto, Ansa said.

The mayor of Amatrice said three quarters of the town were ruined and no building was safe for habitation.

Many of those affected were on holiday in the region. Some were for a holiday to celebrate a famous local speciality – tomato sauce and amatriciana bacon in Amatrice.