Melania Trump is suing a British paper and an US blogger for $150m (£114m) over allegations she was a sex worker in the 1990s, her lawyer says.
The Daily Mail suggested Mrs Trump may have worked as a part time escort in Nyc, and met husband Donald
Trump, who is now running for the White House, earlier than previously reported.
The claims were “outright lying”, attorney Charles Harder said.
Both the Daily Mail and the blogger have since retracted their articles.
“These defendants made several statements about Mrs Trump that are 100% false and enormously damaging to her personal and professional standing,” Mr Harder said in a statement.
“Defendants’ actions are so egregious, malicious and harmful to Mrs Trump that her damages are estimated at $150 million dollars,” Mr Harder’s statement said.
46, Mrs Trump, moved to the US to act as a model in the 1990s and was born in Slovenia. She married Mr Trump in 2005.
Blogger Webster Tarpley wrote that Mrs Trump feared her past becoming public.
The newspaper also quoted Slovenian journalist Bojan Pozar, writer of an unauthorised biography, who maintained Mrs Trump alleged that she had met with Mr Trump that year, three years before their reported first assembly in 1998 and had posed for nude photos in New York in 1995.
Her attorneys say she moved to the US.
Mr Tarpley meanwhile alleged that Mrs Trump was “apparently obsessed by fear of salacious disclosures by rich customers from her time as a high-end escort” and had suffered a “full blown nervous breakdown”.
The Daily Mail’s retraction, printed late on Thursday, insisted it had not indicated the sex work claims were not false but said that, even if fictitious, they could change the US presidential campaign.