Apple is investigating a report from an Australian man who claimed his iPhone 7 caught fire and destroyed his car, the company said on Friday.
Surfer Mat Jones told Channel 7 News that he had gone into water off a New South Wales beach and left his new iPhone 7, purchased last week, wrapped in some of trousers in his automobile on the seashore.
“ As I looked into my car you can hardly see inside the car, like all the windows were not just white.”
Footage shot from another phone revealed the front seats, dash and stick melted and charred, and Jones said he felt only like a huge heat wave only came out of the car”.
The surfer was able to remove what was left of his clothing. “Ashes was just coming from inside the pants, which afterward, once you wrapped open the pants the mobile was merely melting inside of it.”
On a video taken to record the damage, Jones points out the phone: “There’s the mobile, total burnout.”
Jones said he hadn’t lost the mobile or physically damaged it, as happened to a Sydney man who suffered burns and fell off his bike. He also said he had not used a non- Apple billing device.
A spokeswoman for Apple said the firm was investigating the criticism. We ’re with the customer in touch and we’re looking into it,” she said.
Lithium-ion batteries can burst into flames as a result of physical damage or overheating. Apple’s largest smartphone challenger, Samsung, has begun a global recall of 2.5m Galaxy Note 7 devices after more than 100 apparatus started smoking, sparking or caught fire – in some situations causing fire damage and harm.
The US government has prohibited Notice 7 mobiles from air travel, and several airlines have installed fire-containment totes as precautions for overheating smartphones.
Other companies, including Hewlett Packard, Tesla and the makers of so-called “hoverboards”, have also experienced difficulties with their lithium-ion batteries, though the vast majority work without issue.