Apple is investigating a report from an Australian man who claimed his iPhone 7 caught fire and destroyed his car, the company said on Friday.

Surfer Mat Jones told Channel 7 News that he had gone into water off a New South Wales beach and left his new iPhone 7, purchased last week, wrapped in some of trousers in his automobile on the seashore.

“ As I looked into my car you can hardly see inside the car, like all the windows were not just white.”

Footage shot from another phone revealed the front seats, dash and stick melted and charred, and Jones said he felt only like a huge heat wave only came out of the car”.

The surfer was able to remove what was left of his clothing. “Ashes was just coming from inside the pants, which afterward, once you wrapped open the pants the mobile was merely melting inside of it.”

On a video taken to record the damage, Jones points out the phone: “There’s the mobile, total burnout.”

Jones said he hadn’t lost the mobile or physically damaged it, as happened to a Sydney man who suffered burns and fell off his bike. He also said he had not used a non- Apple billing device.

A spokeswoman for Apple said the firm was investigating the criticism. We ’re with the customer in touch and we’re looking into it,” she said.

Lithium-ion batteries can burst into flames as a result of physical damage or overheating. Apple’s largest smartphone challenger, Samsung, has begun a global recall of 2.5m Galaxy Note 7 devices after more than 100 apparatus started smoking, sparking or caught fire – in some situations causing fire damage and harm.

The US government has prohibited Notice 7 mobiles from air travel, and several airlines have installed fire-containment totes as precautions for overheating smartphones.

Other companies, including Hewlett Packard, Tesla and the makers of so-called “hoverboards”, have also experienced difficulties with their lithium-ion batteries, though the vast majority work without issue.


Samsung appears to have filed copyright claims against YouTube videos mocking its remembered Galaxy Note 7 handset.

A modification has been showcased by many gamers to video game Grand Theft Auto V, in which sticky bombs were changed with Samsung phones that were exploding.

But some have reported that their videos are blocked on YouTube following a copyright complaint.

Critics have warned that attempting to remove gamers’ videos will simply draw more attention to them.

The Galaxy Note 7 was remembered and discontinued after reports in October that fire was being caught by some handsets.

‘Truly sucks’

One US gamer – known as DoctorGTA – said constraints had been put as a result of the complaint of Samsung on his YouTube account.

“It’s going to take three months to get the strike removed from my channel…

“If I submit a counter-telling to say ‘sue me’, I wonder what they’ll do. Will they sue me, the child that’s cancer and merely makes money off YouTube playing a video game?”

“It really blows, because I actually worked hard on this particular station.”

Some audiences warned that Samsung was at risk of invoking the Streisand Effect – a term used to denotes increased promotion as a consequence of attempts to remove awkward online content.

Mike Masnick, founder of the web site Techdirt first used it, following a failed effort by vocalist Barbra Streisand to sue a photographer who posted a photo of her beachfront house.

The initial download page for the Grand Theft Auto V modification, created by player HitmanNiko, has online.


The US Department of Transportation has prohibited Samsung Galaxy Note 7 mobiles on flights after reports of the apparatus catching fire.

Passengers will not be able to take the phones on flights or in their luggage to and from the US from 16:00 GMT on Saturday.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had previously counseled against packaging the phones in luggage.

Samsung permanently discontinued Galaxy Note 7 creation this week.

“We are taking this additional measure because even one fire episode in-flight poses a high risk of severe personal injury and gets many lives in danger.”

Samsung recalled around 2.5 million phones in September after criticisms of bursting batteries.

While it afterwards insisted that all replaced apparatus were not dangerous, there were reports that those telephones were catching fire too.

The business subsequently said it would discontinue Galaxy Note 7 creation.

“The fire hazard with the original Note 7 and with the replacement Note 7 is simply too great for anyone to risk it and not respond to this official recall,” said US Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye.

“I would like to remind consumers once again to take advantage of the remedies offered, including a full refund. It’s the right thing to do and the safest thing to do.”



Samsung expects additional setbacks to its profits from the withdrawal of the Note 7 mobile, saying revenue will be changed in the first quarter of 2017.

The tech giant had revised down its third quarter earnings guidance.

On Friday, it said it expected an additional negative impact of around 3tn won ($2.7bn, £2.2bn).

The Note 7 was recalled after battery fires, but when replacement mobiles experienced the same trouble, the device was trashed by Samsung.

The premium mobile, found in August, was supposed to compete with Apple’s new iPhone 7 at the top end of the smartphone market.

The revised outlook brings to more than $5bn the total losses the world’s biggest smartphone manufacturer says it anticipates as a result of the Note 7 fiasco, after it said on Wednesday it would endure a $2.3bn success to third-quarter profit.

The firm said that so as to “normalise its cellular telephone company”, it’d expand sales of its other main apparatus, such as the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.

“Furthermore, the firm will focus on improving product safety for consumers by making critical changes in its quality assurance processes,” Samsung said in a statement.

In September, the company recalled about 2.5 million Note 7 apparatus after criticisms of overheating and bursting batteries.

It later insisted that all replaced apparatus were safe. Nonetheless, that was followed by reports that those cellphones were catching fire too.

On Tuesday, the firm said it would forever cease production of the unit and urged owners to turn it off.


Apple has fired several workers at a store in Brisbane, Australia, amid claims they shared pictures of coworkers and female customers and ranked their bodies.

Brisbane’s Courier-Mail, said that other pictures were stolen from customer telephones and heaps of pictures were taken without knowledge or permission.

Apple confirmed an inquiry and said “several” jobs had been terminated.

But it said its inquiry had so far not demonstrated that any pictures have been stolen.

No-one had been photographed without permission, the query had shown.

The photographs – including more than 100 close-up and intimate pictures based on the Courier Mail – were said to happen to be shared and the women’s bodies afterward rated.

The paper said the possible privacy breach came to light after a fellow worker noticed a store tech looking through the phone in the repair room of an individual.

One staff member told the newspaper they were concerned the same thing was occurring in other Australian Apple stores, including in Sydney.

Apple said the claims, if true, would represent a violation of the company’s business conduct policy.

“Apple believe in treating everyone equally and with respect, and we do not ­tolerate behaviour that goes against our values,” it said in a statement.

“We have met with our store team to let them know about the investigation and inform them about the steps Apple is taking to protect their privacy.”

The Australian Privacy Commissioner is also looking into the alleged privacy breach.

“We are aware of the reports and will be making enquiries with Apple to seek further information,” said commissioner Timothy Pilgrim.

“This is an important reminder that all organisations that collect and manage personal information need to embed a culture of privacy and ensure employees understand their responsibilities.”


Samsung has stepped up its focus on artificial intelligence (AI) by taking over Viv, a digital helper developed by the manufacturer of Apple’s Siri.

The acquisition comes just days after Google launched its new Pixel phone which also puts a strong focus on an AI assistance function that is digital.

Amazon and Microsoft are also making a push into getting computers to learn and react like human beings.

Samsung has recently seen its image battered by the international Note 7 recall.

The company intends to use Viv in tvs, its cellphones and a wide variety of other apparatus.

“With the rise of AI, consumers now desire an interaction with technology that’s conversational, personalised and contextual – an experience that fits seamlessly within their everyday lives,” the company added.

According to Viv Labs chief executive Dag Kittlaus, the new AI assistant’s assignment would be to “breathe life into inanimate objects”.

Mr Kittlaus was behind developing Siri, the digital assistant bought by Apple in 2010. Until he left in 2012 when he began working on Viv he stayed with Apple.

“We see a future which is decidedly beyond programs, where you are able to get what you want quickly and easily no matter where you are, or what device you’re close,” he said.

Earlier this week, Google launched several new apparatus that additionally set a virtual assistant at the heart of their functionality.

The AI technology in the Google smartphones and voice -activated speakers is one step ahead of the Siri in that they’ll hold a dialogue, in which question or command builds on the last, instead of dealing with each request in isolation of Apple.

Technology and retail giant Amazon’s also has an AI-driven apparatus available on the market.